Friday, May 8, 2009

Surnames

As with any family history, there is a plethora of surnames that impede an ideal tree-like organization. That being said, I have decided to start with one surname, Howell, and once I have finished that surname I will move on to another one (Turnley, Skinner, Jensen etc.).

My main goal with this blog is to allow its readers (my family members) to read what I have compiled from grandaddy's work and add anything they might know. So if you see anything that is inconsistent with your own memories, then please let me know (i.e comment on the post). Also if you see any spelling errors or date errors please correct them.

Ultimately, I plan on turning this information into a bound book, so I would like that to be as error free as possible.

My second goal is to get all of gramma and grandpa's pictures scanned and online so that everyone has access and the pictures are safe. This will also allow me to identify people in older pictures that I may never have met.

So here is our family history, according to grandaddy's notes. Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. wonderful work mam! i am a Howell myself and am interested in finding out if our howells are related.. as far as i know my gradfather always said we are welch and moved there to south carolina a centry ago... his name is george howell and married mayme campbell... feel free to contact me at ramblindragon77@yahoo.com if you have any questions or like to add anything.. thanks for your time and all the work you put into this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Charles R Howell, 26, though I reside in California, my grandparents Edger and Margeret live in WV. They had 5 sons, my father Charles Edger Howell being the oldest. After I cound this blog I mailed my grandma a few questions to confirm but I do remember them saying we're Welsh. As I looked through the pictures I noticed that John Micheal Howell looks just like my uncle Mike with an Abe Lincoln beard. I am very curious to find out how we're related to the other Howell families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to find this research, Meredith (my daughter's name also...small world)! And my father, Charles R. Howell, who is 88 years old also lives in California (born in Suffolk, VA). His grandfather is William Henry Harrison Howell, married to Worley Anne Henderson. I am working on our family tree through Ancestry.com and would love to see what else you have uncovered. - Vicki nee Howell p.s. My dad looks a lot like Michael Howell as well...minus the beard. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Followers