Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Howell Family Crest



The name Howell is of Welsh origin and means “alert” or “sprightly” and is believed to have originated in the tenth century with the king of Wales, ‘Howel the Good’. While this name is quite popular in the United States, it is highly concentrated in southeast Virginia and northeast North Carolina.

The first documented Howell in the United States was Owen Howell in 1635 who lived in Warrasquinoke, Virginia. Other early Howells include Henry Howell of Henrico (Richmond area), Virginia (1641) and Walkin Howell of Isle of Wight County, Virginia (1641).

John Howell came to Virginia in 1637 from England and resided in Henrico, Virginia. He had two sons, John and William. John moved to Edgecombe County, North Carolina. While I am not sure if John Sr. is of relation to our portion of the family tree, it is quite possible (given his name and geographical origin).

The family motto, to accompany our crest, is “virtus in arduo”, which translates to virtue in difficulty.

4 comments:

  1. This blog came in very handy as I am a Howell myself and liked kearning about my family's history. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The John Howell that first came into the country. i think mine is William, how much information do you have on these two william and John and John Sr. I live in McDowell Ky, my line is ? = Larkin Jesse Howell = Jesse Howell = Dee Howell = Abe Howell = rachel howell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate and enjoyed reading this information. I however, don't know if any of this is reverent to me and my Howell history search.If anyone can shed a light that might help me I would be forever grateful,as I have hit a brick wall.

    My Grandfather on my mothers side is:

    James Thomas Howell 1907-1949, born in Steens,Lowndes County, Mississippi.

    His father:

    Charlie Thomas Howell 1875-1946 in Warren, Georgia,(not sure if Warren is town or county), died in Gadsden, Etowah County, Alabama, and buried in McShan, (some say Ethelsville), Pickens County, Alabama. This (McShan), was the home and birthplace of his wife, Mary Estelle McShan 1884-1955. They were married in McShan in 1903.

    My GGrandfathers (information came from Social Security Applications and Claims Index):

    His father listed as:

    Jim Howell and Mother listed as Sally Caton.

    I cannot find siblings nor any information on Jim Howell other than the 1910 Census states he was also born in Georgia. I may have found some on Sally but I'm not sure if info correct. Writing on 1910 Census unable to decipher birth state for her.

    I do have pictures of my GGrand mother Mary and my Grandfather James Thomas Howell, but like the lack of information on GGGrandfather and GGGrandmother, I have no pictures.

    Thank you for looking at and possibly adding to my quest.

    Ralph

    I can be directly contacted via:

    Email: ralphcapps60@charter.net or

    Phone: 205-447-5282

    ReplyDelete
  4. My great grandfather was Charles Howell in Missouri in 1896. My grandfather was Everett and my dad John. Any info appreciated

    ReplyDelete

Followers